One Church in Two Locations
The History of New Home Baptist Church dates back over 62 years. In 1950, Rev. W.A. Washington a man of great vision was led and inspired by God to leave the Mt. Calvary Baptist Church of Phoenix, AZ to organize the New Home Baptist Church. Rev. Washington was a gifted preacher and teacher who built a strong membership foundation on faith and prayer.
The newly organized church held two Sunday services at the home of Charlotte and Fred Day, located at 926 West Grant. As worshipers grew, a larger facility was necessary. The church relocated to 11th Ave and Buchanan. From there, the group moved to 1135 South 7th Avenue. With more than 75 members, the Continuous growth forced the congregation to purchase the building they had been renting.
New Home Baptist Church was officially organized July 2, 1950. Deacons from the First Institutional Baptist Church assisted in the organization. They were: Deacons L.F. Walton, S.C. Boyer, and Roosevelt Woods. The late Rev. Price moderated the service. Rev. Washington continued to lead the Church with great vision and passion until his passing on June 25, 1959. Charter members still living include: Deacon Garfield Hamm of Berean Bible Church, and Deacon Tommie L. Williams, Sr. We still morn the recent loss of charter member Deaconess Mable Rhinehart who was 93 years old.
New Home’s history is filled with bearing fruit for the kingdom of God, helping to establish the Israelite BC, New Jerusalem BC, Berean Church, and Faith Missionary BC. Pastors Alexis Thomas, Shawn Buckanan, Thomas Davis, and Anthony Connors all nourished their ministries here at New Home! And today with God’s new Servant Pastor Darryl L. Jackson, we begin a new page in this history with unlimited possibilities and blessings as we have become, the new, New Home Baptist Church!
NHBC Original Membership
July 2, 1950